After I decided to reduce the amount of dairy in my diet, I had a hard time replicating some of my favorite Italian dishes (like lasagna!) without using cheese. Little did I know that the nut 'cheese' substitutes are SUPER easy to make and SUPER tasty! You can use cashews or almonds (if you're using almonds make sure to use blanched almonds), and probably other nuts work too but I've only tried these two nuts. This is a great 'ricotta' substitute or dip for veggies. I've even used this on top of pizza - yum!
Serves: ~2 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups of cashews soaked in water for at least 2 hours
- 3/4 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- Dash of onion powder
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the soaked cashews and add to a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix)
- Add remaining ingredients and blend on high until the mixture is creamy. You may need to stop and scrap down the sides a few times to ensure the consistency is creamy throughout
- To thicken the mixture, store in an airtight container and leave in the refrigerator for at least two hours
- Serve and enjoy!